top of page

Play-based and developmentally-sensitive help

Individual and Family Play Therapy
  • Possible social, emotional, developmental and/or behavioral problems for which therapy can focus:

    • Infant with frequent crying or fussiness or any difficulty developing infant-caregiver bond

    • Separation Anxiety

    • Reactions to Life Stresses (grief, divorce, foster care, military parent/ deployment, etc)

    • Peer Struggles/ Bullying

    • Developmental Issues or Disability

    • Challenging Behaviors

    • Co-Parenting Challenges

    • Childhood Trauma

    • Difficulty with Mood Regulation (frequent anger or agitation)

    • Anxiety

    • Depression

  • Christine meets with the family, including the child, to complete a thorough assessment.  Assessment might also include observing interaction of the child and caregivers.  Based on the family and child’s individual needs, a treatment plan is developed.

  • Regardless of the age of the child, therapy includes providing education, support, and consultation to the child’s family, caregivers or teachers.

  • Sometimes a child will also benefit from direct intervention.  With young children the intervention is play-based.  Play therapy consists of a wide variety of play activities, including:  playing with puppets or dolls, water or sand play, various art activities, playing games, story telling and music play.   Play therapy allows children a safe place to play out their thoughts and feelings related to real-life experiences.  They are free to express their emotional experience— what it feels like to be them. With access to this internal realm, a play therapist, can help children and their caregivers discover alternative ways of viewing, coping with, and potentially overcoming, their difficulties.

  • As a child gets more comfortable with Christine and the therapy process, the therapy can become more language-based including more direct discussion and learning about feelings and behavior.

  • All major insurance plans, including Medicaid and Tricare plans, are accepted. Our office can assist you in filing claims for reimbursement if we do not participate in your particular plan.

bottom of page